Thursday, August 30, 2012

Getting a Diagnosis....REALLY?

If it looks likes Lyme, acts like Lyme, walks, talks and smells like Lyme, and your blood says it's Lyme, then, of course it's Lyme, Right?



Well, one would think. One would think that only having one Lyme band would constitute a doctor to say, "Well, maybe not. It could be something else." What they don't know, (and sometimes DO but won't admit) that sometimes Lyme disease will show it's ugly symptoms without showing any indication in your lab report. Usually it becomes more evident in blood testing only after treatment has begun.

EVEN IF you are CDC positive in a blood test, many, well most doctors will tell you that "you do not have lyme disease"....I am not just speaking for myself when I say that even when you have that test and all the symptoms to go along with it, you will probably still see multiple doctors before you hear "you have lyme disease."

 This is for many reasons, such as lack of educating our doctors in even the best medical universities and many other complicated, political reasons which would be long enough to write a book. Anyway, those of us who suffer are caught up in the middle, and all we want is one thing....treatment and health.

I was new at this and was quite shocked that NO DOCTOR would admit that I had Lyme. I mean what was the big deal? Just give me the diagnosis and let's start treatment so I can get better in a few months and get on with my life! Right? Not so fast.

When People told me that I had to "pay out of pocket" to get treated for Lyme, I refused to believe that, and continued seeing doctors that took my insurance and kept getting turned away because "lyme disease did not happen in Florida" and "chronic lyme didn't exist."

When I finally gave in and paid $350 to see an LLMD (lyme literate medical doctor) I was angry that I had to pay "so much" BUT was so happy when that doctor told me that yes, in fact I did have lyme disease. I was thrilled to get a diagnosis, FINALLY, as I think most of us are, not because we are happy to be ill, but happy to have finally found someone to put a name on our condition so that we can start treatment. We happily go to the pharmacy, get out bottle of doxycycline, thinking that all will be well soon.

 I quickly found through my own research and from others with lyme that this disease was extremely complicated and caused other underlying diseases, co-infections. Also autoimmune disorders can occur along with harm and involvement to virtually all parts of the body, including the central nervous system. Although I liked my doctor, I found that he did not know enough about the complicated disease.

I will get into more aspects of this disease in later days and posts, but a person with lyme disease quickly learns that their entire life changes. Everything. You become a different person emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially, academically. Your medicine cabinet is now a pharmacy and your kitchen in now a health food store. Your house had medical equipment galore.

My first LLMD, a half hour drive, turned into a second LLMD, an 8 hour drive, and then (and currently) into a third LLMD, a 2 1/2 hour flight. Fast forward to 2012. I'm still fighting, I do not know where the end is, but I fight.

People who have had lyme disease for some time and read this will understand every word....those who have just discovered that lyme may be their problem may be scared when reading this. And it can be scary! But make no mistake, if you stay focused and keep your eye on the prize (health) you can and will beat this.

You fall, you get back up. You cry, you wipe your tears. Lyme beats you up, you beat it back!! You never give up, because there is hope, and for many people I know, including myself, you become a better, stronger, wiser person.

During the days of treatment, life is very challenging, as you will read in days to come.

Also, I wanted to point out (and I should have in the beginning) that many people with lyme suffer from neurological problems and it is hard to read or follow along, which is why I try to really break up my paragraphs. Also, for many it is hard to concentrate, find the right words or stay focused on a subject.

 I have this problem, so if I seem to "jump around" or not make the best sense, I apologize, but I want this to be real and I am not trying to win an award for the best grammar or the most well-versed blog. This is a blog from a person who suffers from Lyme, not to be confused with a best-selling author, and I'll even throw in an "lol" to finish that!

I welcome your comments, always!!! If you want to follow along with my posts via email, just click the link at top right of the page. Thanks for reading, and until my next post, be well, and remember that with anything in life, giving up is never an option!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment